Thursday, October 07, 2004

POKER HAND #35

PHIL IVEY CLASSIC: Thanks to all who played in the Phil Ivey Classic.

The Poker Hand of the Day Player of the Night Award goes to Scott Goldberg.

Scott played impressively, making great reads all night. I remember I flopped top two pair and Scott immediately picked up that I was strong. Good thing too, because if he felt I was weak, he would have moved in.

Scott's tight aggressive style won him a tidy profit on the night.

I myself had to rebuy twice. Down to my last ten dollars, a crucial hand put me on the path to break even, and I actually ended up $12 up.

I picked up the 5s-3h on the button and raised preflop. I got called in two places.

The flop came down K-K-9. I immediately bet out $7 and got called in one place by my man Hasebe.

A blank came off on the turn. I immediately bet out $12 and Hasebe went in the tank. He had a 9. Frankly, I can't even believe he would think about calling in this spot. He has to put me on a total bluff to call. And unfortunately I had raised preflop so he was not able to make the read.

Thank God, as that saved my night. I told him I had the A-K, but I was lying. My bad.

I made some bad plays early on that got me in the hole to begin with. After that, I tightened up and waited for the hands to come. They did come, but in some cases I didn't make that much money with them. I picked up the 7-7 five times and lost every pot I played with them.

Another critical hand also involved Hasebe.

I picked up the A-Q in the big blind and raised preflop. I was called in the small blind, & by Hasebe who was acting several people after me.

The flop came down Q-5-3, rainbow. With no flush draw out there, I quickly assumed I was best.

Nick Horton, in the small blind, bet out $5 or something similar. With Hasebe yet to act, I smooth-called. I guess he might be able to think I have some kind of a draw there. I don't raise in that spot because I'm likely only to get called by either Nick or Hasebe if I'm beat or if my opponent has a queen with a worse kicker. That's not that many hands, and in the latter situation or any other situation, I'm a huge favorite.

That's why the smooth-call. And I didn't even think about it. It's only correct to raise in that spot if you think there are some draws out there. With the common card nature of hold 'em, if there wasn't a draw out against me, I was a huge favorite and should try to get action instead of pushing it out of the pot.

Action I got, as Hasebe immediately moved all-in over the top for $15 more. I might have folded the K-Q to that strong bet, but not the A-Q. Nick folded and I quickly called. No ten came down and I made some bling.

One of my favorite hands on the night, I wasn't even involved in.

Ben Resnick was playing a pot with his nemesis, Jamie Galen. During the Phil Hellmuth Jr. Invitational, after I was eliminated, Resnick was the short stack. In anticipation of him busting out, Jamie laid down Resnick's buy-in (the prize for third) in front of him. Naturally Resnick took Jamie out and lost to Gideon Friedman heads-up for the title in a lengthy war.

Resnick was looking to score a moral victory over the young talent Galen. Galen picked up the A-3 and called a small preflop raise. The flop came down Q-A-3. Great flop for Galen. He bet out and got called by Resnick. The turn came a Q.

Resnick immediately went all-in. Galen was put to a tough call. If Resnick had a Queen, he was in a bad place. Resnick turned to Galen and said, "I have a full house, queens over aces." Jamie thought a while longer and called all-in. Resnick showed him the A-Q for the full boat, Queens over aces. Afterwards, Galen said, I did have two pair. But after that Q fell, you had nothing. Tough stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Criminal Law Lawyer